Mold, mildew, and dust mites are stuff of nightmares for the asthmatic. One of the best solutions for this problem is a good and modern dehumidifier.
What causes allergies?
Molds thrive in dark, damp places. A quick check on bathroom ceilings, kitchen cabinets, or basement walls may reveal a thriving mold civilization. Molds reproduce through spores and these spores, when inhaled can trigger an allergic reaction. Inhalation of these dangerous particles may cause nasal congestion, coughing and sneezing, or skin and throat irritation that can happen individually or all at the same time. Dust mites also love places with high moisture content – rugs, blankets, beddings, towels, and curtains. Molds and dust mites therefore pose a serious health risk especially for those who are allergic to it.
A dehumidifier helps to keep molds and mites away by lowering a room’s humidity to optimal levels, making it an unfavourable living environment for these unwanted creatures.
When and where is a dehumidifier needed?
A dehumidifier is needed when the weather, especially rainy days, brings higher than normal humidity. It is also needed when allergic or asthmatic individuals are living in a humid or tropical climate. Some tell-tale signs that a certain place is in need of a dehumidifier are:
1. Presence of water beads and condensation or fog on windows
2. Presence of black mold in areas that are supposed to be dry
3. Rotting wood
4. Musty smells emanating from a garage or kitchen cabinet
5. A feeling that the air is “thick”
Common problem areas are bathrooms, kitchen cabinets, and basements. If these places have colonies of molds growing in them and it is causing allergies and/or asthma attacks, it’s time to buy a dehumidifier.
One can also use a hygrometer to accurately measure the moisture content in the air.
What dehumidifier is best for allergic and asthmatic individuals?
It depends on the size and humidity of the room and how prolonged will be the usage. A portable dehumidifier is good for small damp places while a medium sized dehumidifier is suitable for average-sized wet or damp basements. A home dehumidifier can dehumidify a medium sized house. Small dehumidifiers have smaller tanks which mean it requires frequent emptying while larger ones don’t require as much. It’s recommended to opt for the larger one if prolonged use is intended. Although the size of it must be kept in mind – it’s hard to store a huge dehumidifier.
Is it expensive to own a dehumidifier?
It depends on how often it is used. The average dehumidifier consumes around 100 watts to 160 watts. It also depends on its size – portable dehumidifiers cost more or less $200 while larger ones range from $1,500 to $2,000 but the medical expenses, the stress, and the hassle will be avoided.
Purchasing a good dehumidifier to avoid asthma and allergic attacks is surely worth the money.